Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hogwash in Africa


I use the word hogwash because I should be a little conscientious about my readers. Disillusionment may be a better word, but bullshit is a stronger word. We visited the last of the 3 outreach villages yesterday (Monday). First we were 3 hours late since the driver decided to have other plans the night before in Morogoro to where he wouldn't be arriving on time. Once we got to the village, all the leaders had gone back home since we were so late. In the meeting, I learned that there had been a project started there and then "abandoned", but I only heard their side of the story not the organization that had brought the project to the village. As I explained through a translator that H4A was trying to establish sustainability not continually provide handouts. Through sustainability and job creation, the health center would continue to operate and people would have money to sent their children to better schools. I continued to have some serious misgivings about this place. They actually have a dispensary and a couple of water sources, one for drinking and one for cooking, cleaning and bathing. They were excited about our new choos (toilets) and humanure project. This all was topped off with a huge tree across the road as we left the village. First of all, please understand that this is the WORST road/path I have ever encountered in my life. I have no desire to go on it again. H4A has to get it passable before we can start hauling semis up the mountain to bring supplies to these projects. The views from the mountain were incredible though. So, back to this tree...the fundis (craftsman) were cutting it down for timber when they say "the tree refused to fall the right way"---can we say b.s. to that? If you cut it correctly the tree will fall the way it is supposed to, not across the road. So we of course stopped the truck, got out and insisted that they needed to work to make it so we could pass. This was the biggest cluster I have ever seen. First they tell us that their chain saw isn't working, but then all of sudden what do I hear? The roar of a chain saw! They trimmed out all the branches that were hanging in the way and measured to see if the tree would pass under the widest place. They refused to measure the truck more then once and were incredibly rude to Liz and I, very argumentative. Needless to say the head fundi was the education coordinator for the Chagongwe area, the very person we were attempting to assist in improving the preschool/kindergarten. So the truck made it under the tree with about 6 inches to spare, no scratches or dents on the roof. Then after all of that, they insisted that we pay them since they had stayed to HELP US!!!! Holy S*&%!!!! I couldn't believe it. It was their mistake, not ours and they needed to make the road useable again. Basically it was a bribe so that maybe they would help us out in the event our truck broke down or we got a flat tire. Well, excuse me, but that is a risk I am willing to take. You are talking to someone who has changed a few major tires in her life (8 to big exact on my 5th wheel alone). This was so absurd. Liz was very angry and I just quietly stewed. I have no desire to go up there again. If I come and live in Africa it will be in Berega and I will oversee things here or run the nursing school. Those people can rot up there on the mountain for all I care. Another thing is the lack of respect for women around here until they want money from the white women.  Nope, no respect, no money. This isn't a hand out charity. We are here to get you all on your feet with jobs, money and decent hospitals and health centers. If this is going to work, then all this hogwash has to stop!!! 
Ok, that's my rant and thank you for reading.
Rebecca
P.S. I wrote this the day after the above event occurred. I have since calmed down and have realized that life here is full of dishonesty by few who make the rest look bad by association. I suppose this is also how it is in the US. My efforts will continue to be focused on the Berega Hospital and the nursing school, where I hope to come a teach one day. For now, I will return home and write my grant and get the supplies for the hospital. All is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment