Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mercies in Disguise

Ok, so it is my turn to finally put words on my blog. I have just been crazy busy, like everyone else. I went home (back to Kansas) a couple weekends ago and had a great time with my friends I had left behind and was able to check up on my parents and grandparents. My girlfriends and I have started a tradition of getting together for "girl's weekend" where we watch a Deeper Still video.  Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, and Priscilla Shirer preach God's Word in a way that reaches the deepest part of your soul and causes you to have one of those "ahah" moments. This weekend Priscilla preached on Ephesians 3:20-21 with the take away message that God can and will provide exceedingly and abundantly more then what we ask for and all we have to do is trust Him to do it. As we went around the room and shared the one or two things that we really wanted God to go overboard on, I realized that no matter how small something seemed in my life compared to someone else, God cared because it was important to me. Then I listened to Blessing by Laura Story (which I highly recommend looking up on itunes) and the words struck me. What if your blessings come through raindrops, what if your healing comes through tears, what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You are near?  I realized how far I had come in my life in the last 6 months. I reached the lowest point in March and by the grace of God, two really great parents and a set of awesome friends, I have done a complete 180 degree turn. In 26 days I will embark on what is destined to be another great turning point in my life. I am going to Berega, Tanzania with the non-profit organization I have joined, Hands4Africa (hands4africa.org). This organization is dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of the people living in Berega.  It has one of the worst maternal and infant mortality rates in Africa. My job as the relief supply coordinator is to collect, order, beg, plead and borrow hospital supplies from the US to ship to Tanzania. This opportunity has me constantly thinking about all the mercies in disguise that have occurred in my life over the past 6-12 months. Even through all the darkness and rain, I now realize there was sunshine, it was just blocked briefly. So, take a listen to the song and try to realize all the mercies in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment